April 16, 2018
SOCIAL MEDIA / PUBLICITY ASSISTANT (Part time) – 22 hours per week (approx.) – $15.30 / hour
Do you fall asleep every night scrolling through your social media feed? Does a job where you get to do a little bit of everything – PR, graphic design, writing – intrigue you? And most of all: do you love libraries?
You’ll report to the Programming Manager and work with the Library Director to develop and implement social media content that is designed to engage users and create an interactive relationship between the residents of Bernardsville and the Library. This position will assist with publicity for programs and periodically attend programs day-of to facilitate the actual event, and will have two scheduled shifts at the Circulation desk for an additional eight hours per week.
Why is this job important to the library?
Social media is a crucial component to connecting with our stakeholders. We’re looking for someone who knows how to reach out to people where they are and share the value we bring to the community.
Once you’re here, you’ll:
Spend time posting to our social media outlets, listening on our Facebook page and pages important to our community, developing monthly content calendar, PR including posting events on websites, monthly reporting
Assisting the program manager with arranging and implementing adult programs.
Writing, or working on graphic design, if that’s where your interests and talents are.
Working at Circulation (two shifts per week at the circulation desk, which will include some weekend hours) – because that’s the best way to know what our patrons are interested in!
See job description below for more detail.
What are we looking for:
We need someone with the ability to develop a social media strategy addressing issues of design, engagement, promotion, and conversation, and with experience using social listening and social analytics tools, interpreting the data, and communicating it out in a user-friendly way. Fluency with open source graphic design products and/or photo/video production, or a desire to learn these skills, is a major plus. A positive attitude and obsession with the things people are sharing, liking, recommending and talking about on the internet is what this position is all about, and analytical skills, ability to translate data into clear learnings and actionable next steps is crucial.
This position will work a mixed schedule
About 36% of the time (about 8 hours) you’ll work regular scheduled hours;
About 40% of the time (about 9 hours) will be flexible, mutually agreed on time between you and the library;
Up to 22% of the time (about 5 hours) can be work from home, turning in deliverables and a log of work weekly.
Pay rate: $15.30 / hour
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Social media / Publicity assistant (PT)
Under the primary direction of the Programming Manager, and working with the Library Director, this position will be responsible for developing and implementing social media content that is designed to engage users and create an interactive relationship between community residents and the Library. This position will assist with publicity for programs and by periodically attending day-of to facilitate the actual event.
This position will have two scheduled shifts at the Circulation desk for an additional eight hours per week.
Duties, Functions, Responsibilities (Approx. time on duty)
- Social listening Facebook (Bubble, Library), (40 min/day – 3 hrs /wk)
- ROI, reporting (1.25 hours/week)
- Develops monthly content calendar (1 hour / week)
- Posts events on newspaper websites, patch, etc. (1 hour / week)
- Maintains slide show at circulation / Assists in web page updating (1 hour / week)
- Monitors social media trends, tools and applications / monitors other social media sites / reports on findings (1 hour / week)
- May assist in preparing (1 hour / week):
- Press releases
- Graphic design
- Program assistance one evening or weekend per week (3.5 hours)
- Circulation desk assistance (8 hours / week)
- Other projects as may arise
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Experience using social listening and social analytics tools, interpreting the data and communicating it out in the most user-friendly way is critical
- Existing social presence, copywriting, DIY skills and fluency with open source graphic design products and/or photo/video production are a major plus
- Positive attitude and obsession with the things people are sharing, liking, recommending and talking about on the internet
- Analytical skills, ability to translate data into clear learnings and actionable next steps
- Ability to develop a social media strategy addressing issues of design, engagement, promotion, and conversation
- Knowledge of social media management apps
- Knowledge of social media posting strategy and content tailoring
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel, and Publisher, PowerPoint
- Working knowledge of WordPress or other comparable program.
- Working knowledge of Google Docs.
- Graphic Design
- Experience with public libraries
- College degree highly desired
Send cover letter and resume to Alexandria Arnold, Library Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.