We’re sorry. This job has been filled.
READERS’ SERVICES ASSISTANT
Responsible for proper functioning of circulation services and designated patron services under supervision of the Readers’ Services Manager.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
- Performs circulation desk duties: Charges and discharges materials, issues library cards, reserves items, reviews interlibrary loan requests, responds to patron account questions, empties book drop and shelves books and other materials.
- Assists patrons in finding information and resources.
- Provides reader’s advisory services by developing knowledge of the library’s holdings, and locating and recommending books for patrons.
- Explains and interprets library policy to members of the public and to other libraries as needed.
- Understands how to use the online catalog and Internet resources. Provide instruction in their use to patrons, staff and volunteers.
- Accepts reserves (holds) for library materials, handles interlibrary loan requests and notifies patrons when items are available.
- Opens and closes library as scheduled.
- Monitors and observes public use of the library and makes suggestions for improvements.
- Straightens books on shelves and perform or coordinate general shelf-reading duties as assigned.
- Attends staff meetings and training as requested.
- Works on projects as assigned by the Readers’ Services Manager or Director.
- Participates in assigned responsibilities that may include:
- Book discussion leading
- Book displays
- Cash deposits
- Catalog and process periodicals
- Collection development/management
- Computer records management
- Computer training workshops leading
- Disabled services development/implementation
- Forms creation and stocking
- Interlibrary loan management
- Online book reviews
- Overdue notices and bills
- Periodicals retention
- Reference Services
- Technology maintenance duties
- Posting to online social media sites
- Use of smartphones and tablets to download streaming materials
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with the general public and to maintain effective working relationships with other library staff.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with reference tools needed for basic research, including Internet resources.
- Thorough knowledge of library and clerical terminology, library procedures, use of computers and other equipment.
- Ability to maintain established library records and files.
- Knowledge of books — background in literature helpful.
- Strong organizational ability.
- Ability to comprehend, analyze and interpret regulations, policies and procedures of the library.
- Proactive customer service orientation.
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge of current technology including use of tablets and smartphones.
- Previous library experience, college degree and/or library course work preferred.
- Customer service experience.
- Education and training in the areas of technology and other library-related areas.
- Familiarity with computers.
- Familiarity with social media.
Mail a current resume and a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications to Pat Kennedy Grant at firstname.lastname@example.org by August 21, 2017.