Readers’ Services Manager – Job Opportunity
Responsible for proper functioning of circulation services, facilities and designated patron services under supervision of the Library Director.
DUTIES, FUNCTIONS, RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Serves as the circulation system expert — be able to handle all aspects of the system completely and competently. Trains new staff and volunteers in circulation functions and is able to answer staff questions on the system as needed.
2. Performs and supervises Circulation Desk duties, including opening and closing the
Library, preparing desk and cash register for daily business and checking in and out of library materials.
3. Responsible for daily scheduling of the Circulation desk including approval of time off and schedule changes.
4. Works at the circulation desk as needed, including but are not limited to:
• Charge and discharge materials, issue library cards, reserve items, review interlibrary loan requests, respond to patron account questions, empty book drop and shelve books and other materials.
• Explain and interpret library policy to members of the public and to other libraries as
• Monitor and observe public use of the library and make suggestions for improvements.
• Performs or coordinates shelf maintenance.
• Other duties as needed.
5. Oversees in-house preparation of overdue notices and bills.
6. Prepares cash deposits and does banking on a regular basis.
7. Monitors the flow of Circulation Services work. Advises Director of unmet needs or additional hours of work required for self or others for training or other purposes. Organizes workflow to reflect patron priorities.
8. Maintains current written policies and procedures for Circulation Services and Circulation
Training for Director’s review.
9. Coordinates projects among Readers’ Services staff as needed, including shelf-reading,
book displays, weeding, and patron computer records management.
10. Assists in hiring of circulation staff.
1. Supervises and assists in answering in-house and telephone queries or refers to Youth Services Manager or Director when appropriate.
2. Provides readers’ advisory services by developing knowledge of the library’s holdings, and
locating and recommending books for patrons.
3. Purchases various adult collections including media, large type, and patron purchase requests.
Interlibrary Loan Responsibilities
1. Borrows or supervises borrowing and lending of materials from other libraries for this library’s patrons through the Statewide Interlibrary Loan System, monitors the flow of ILL services work, and trains and supervises the activities of staff and volunteers performing ILL services tasks.
2. Advises Director of unmet needs or additional hours of work required for training or other purposes, and drafts revised written policies and procedures for ILL Services for Director’s review as required.
(Possibility for these duties to be transferred to another position in the future)
1. Responsible for facilities management including maintenance contract negotiations, vendor quotes, contract fulfillment and renewal, building repairs, and liaising with Borough’s Assistant Administrator for site concerns.
2. Manages resolution of daily and emergency facilities problems.
3. Available on call for emergency calls from staff. Police and fire contact for library.
4. Responsible for supervision of handyperson.
(Possibility for these duties to be assumed by the Circulation department in the future)
Assists Adult Program Manager to identify, develop, and execute programs of interest to the library’s adult patrons.
1. Provides monthly statistics prior to Board meeting on circulation, Interlibrary loan activity, attendance at programs, number of people entering the library and other as needed.
2. Coordinates and hosts events at the Library as required.
3. Attends staff meetings and training as requested.
4. Works on special projects as assigned by the Director.
5. Responsible for ordering and processing magazines and newspapers.
6. Acts as liaison for Local History as needed for correspondence and related matters.
7. Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge and Skills
1. Ability to meet the public pleasantly to create an atmosphere of helpfulness.
2. Ability to interact with staff and public in a tactful and pleasant manner.
3. A general knowledge of books, current reading trends and general literature helpful.
4. Knowledge of and familiarity with reference tools needed for basic research, including
6. Supervisory experience, and experience working in a Circulation Department for a public library.
Salary: $52,819.00 per year, with benefits as described in the Library’s Personnel Manual.