Part-Time Youth Services Library Assistant: STEM Emphasis
Are you a tech savvy, science lover who enjoys working with youth of all ages? The award-winning Bernardsville Public Library is seeking outgoing, imaginative candidates with an emphasis on developing STEM programs to continue to build our Youth Services Department, bring programs to life, promote collections, and respond to patrons. The ideal candidate will be fun and energetic with a sense of adventure balanced with patience, professionalism, excellent judgement, and a strong sense of responsibility. Hours: 15-25/week; $15.30/hr.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Development and execution of programs involving hands-on STEM themes for children and teens.
- Assisting with programs for youth of all ages on an as needed basis
- Participating in collection development and reader’s advisory services for youth of all ages
- Assisting with major events such as the summer reading program and winter camp as well as one time large-scale programs such as Harry Potter’s birthday party and the World’s Fair; and
- Occasional substitution for circulation staff
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Background in science and/or technology
- Interest in children and children’s reading material, games, music and movies
- Ability to work well with other staff members and to collaborate on assignments and projects
- Ability to work independently to complete assignments and projects
- Creativity and interest in developing fun and educational programs for all age ranges with a primary focus on programs that feature STEM concepts
- Flexibility regarding schedule as well as work assignments
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Experience working with children and teens with a focus on science and/or technology education
- College degree
- Must be available to Monday evenings, at least two afternoons per week, and a minimum of two weekend days per month
ADDITIONAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
This position supports a wide range of services for the Youth Services Department as well as the Library. Any of the following skills/experiences are a plus:
- Working or volunteering in a library
- Working with special needs populations
- Working with people whose first language is not English
- Working in customer service
- Website maintenance
- Copy editing and proof reading
- Competence using social media.
Please submit your letter of interest and resume to email@example.com by September 9. Interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.