Readers’ Services Assistant – Job Opportunity
Responsible for proper functioning of circulation services and designated patron services under supervision of the Readers’ Services Manager.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
- Performs circulation desk duties: Charges and discharges materials, issues library cards, reserves items, reviews interlibrary loan requests, responds to patron account questions, empties book drop and shelves books and other materials.
- Assists patrons in finding information and resources.
- Provides reader’s advisory services by developing knowledge of the library’s holdings, and locating and recommending books for patrons.
- Explains and interprets library policy to members of the public and to other libraries as needed.
- Understands how to use the online catalog and Internet resources. Provides instruction in their use to patrons, staff and volunteers.
- Accepts reserves for library materials, handles interlibrary loan requests and notifies patrons when items are available.
- Opens and closes library as scheduled.
- Monitors and observes public use of the library and makes suggestions for improvements.
- Straightens books on shelves and performs or coordinates general shelf-reading duties as assigned.
- Attends staff meetings and training as requested.
- Works on projects as assigned by the Readers’ Services Manager or Director.
- Participates in assigned responsibilities that may include:
- Book discussion leading
- Book displays
- Cash deposits
- Catalog and process periodicals
- Collection development/management
- Computer records management
- Computer training workshops leading
- Disabled services development/implementation
- Forms creation and stocking
- Interlibrary loan management
- Online book reviews
- Overdue notices and bills
- Periodicals retention
- Reference Services
- Technology maintenance duties
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with the general public and to maintain effective working relationships with other library staff.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with reference tools needed for basic research, including Internet resources.
- Thorough knowledge of library and clerical terminology, library procedures, use of computers and other equipment.
- Ability to maintain established library records and files.
- Knowledge of books — background in literature helpful.
- Strong organizational ability.
- Ability to comprehend, analyze and interpret regulations, policies and procedures of the library.
- Proactive customer service orientation.
- Previous library experience, college degree and/or library course work preferred.
- Customer service experience.
- Education and training in the areas of technology and other library-related areas.
- Familiarity with computers is required.
HOURLY WAGE: $15.30/hour