Job Opportunity – Readers’ Services Assistant
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED.
Bernardsville Public Library is seeking a part-time Readers’ Services Assistant to work at the circulation desk. Current schedule will be two half-days a week along with 1-2 Saturdays a month and an occasional evening or Sunday. We anticipate the schedule will expand to include 4 shifts (16-20 hours a week) as the library resumes a normal schedule in the future. Experience with Polaris IS highly desirable. We are looking for someone who is focused on customer service, has a familiarity with computers and a knowledge of books. Must be physically capable of kneeling and bending to locate items. Starting salary is $15.30/hr.
Responsible for proper functioning of circulation services and designated patron services under the supervision of the Readers’ Services Manager.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
- Performs circulation desk duties: charges and discharges materials, issues library cards, reserves items, responds to patron account questions, empties book drop, and shelves books and other materials.
- Assists patrons in finding information and resources.
- Provides reader’s advisory services by developing knowledge of the library’s holdings, and locating and recommending books for patrons.
- Explains library policy to members of the public and to other libraries as needed.
- Understands how to use the catalog and other online resources. Provides instruction in their use to patrons, staff and volunteers.
- Assists patrons with printing and computer questions.
- Accepts reserves for library materials, handles interlibrary loan requests, and notifies patrons when items are available.
- Opens and closes library as scheduled.
- Straightens books on shelves and performs general shelf-reading duties as assigned.
- Attends staff meetings and training as required.
- Works on projects as assigned by the Readers’ Services Manager or Director.
- Participates in additional assigned responsibilities that may include:
- Lead book discussions
- Create book displays
- Process periodicals
- Lead computer training workshops
- Create and stock forms
- Interlibrary loan management
- Online book reviews
- Overdue notices and bills
- Periodicals retention
- Reference Services
- Technology maintenance
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with the general public and to maintain effective working relationships with other library staff.
- Knowledge of library and clerical terminology, library procedures, use of computers and other equipment. Experience with Polaris highly desirable.
- Ability to maintain established library records and files.
- Knowledge of books — background in literature is helpful.
- Strong organizational ability.
- Ability to comprehend, analyze and interpret policies and procedures of the library.
- Proactive customer service orientation.
Submit your resume and cover letter to Laura Cole at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Bernardsville Public Library, 1 Anderson Hill Rd., Bernardsville NJ 07924